Articoli Pubblicati

Sicurezza & Giustizia magazine

Article published in SICUREZZA & GIUSTIZIA magazine

Location and cell phones of a mobile network: usefulness of field measurements

Abstract:

Information provided by telephone service providers could be insufficient to express evidence/proof when a cell phone is being located. The experimental technique for calculating radio electric coverage of individual areas is a valid alternative solution, thanks to a series of measurements calculated using specific instruments and in-depth knowledge of linkage and communication of mobile devices to the mobile network. 

To read the rest here the whole article.

It is obvious to think about approaches used for the location by means of mobile network when someone wants to determine if a specific mobile device was or not in a determined space and at a given moment. For this reason, as already written in my paper published in Sicurezza & Giustizia magazine, the tools for the data extraction from mobile phones/smartphones are used, hoping to locate the registration of GPS positions (WiFi, geolocalized photo and/or Video) together with call detail record in order to acquire information about the position of the Base Transceiver Station and about the theoretical electromagnetic coverage of the hosted cells. In addition, the theoretical coverage of the cells, supplied by telephone service providers, can be narrowed through the statistical detection of the coverage using a frequency scan of mobile phone network (I have personally used TeMS by Ascom).

Actually, location tools and methods can have a symmetrical application. It is frequent, in fact, the need to know who was, or better which mobile device was in a determined space and at a given moment.

Read more: Location: Starting from the serving cell

Location of mobile devices: a place with unusual characteristics (singularities)

I have more and more often the occasion to deal with the location, that is those activities that aim at acquiring information about the position of mobile devices (especially smartphones). In order to carry out this activity, I use the traditional forensic tools which are appropriate for the data extraction (UFED, Oxygen etc.) and a device designed for the detection of the mobile network of the area of interest. I use TeMS (TEst Mobile System), but useful alternative products exist.

The tool scans the mobile frequencies of a provider, identifying and measuring the characteristic parameters (power, signal/noise ratio, etc.) of the serving cell for a specific place and of the so-called adjacent cells, that is those cells which could serve a specific place but lose respect to the serving cell in terms of power and signal quality or simply for the priority chosen by the telephone service provider.   

I got the idea of writing this brief article after having observed some places that, at least from the point of view of the mobile frequencies, can be defined as “singularity”. I know that the word “singularity” comes to mind Matrix (technological singularity) above all for the fans of science fiction but here I want to talk about something more concrete. The importance of this experience, that I will introduce in a little bit, concerns neither a specific place nor the usefulness that it had in this specific case. It concerns the indication that allows me to update my check list used in later similar cases.